The ultimate Cole Classic checklist
To help you ease your anxiety, boost your confidence and swim your best on the day we’ve put together this pre, during & post-Cole Classic checklist.
The night before
- Eat foods you would usually eat and avoid high fibre meals
- Check over all your equipment and pack your bags with your official race pack, gear and equipment (including spares) and snacks
- Read through the event schedule, confirm start times and know the public transport timetable or parking options
- Get to bed early and read to take your mind off the event and help reduce anxiety
On the day
- Consume a light snack high in GI carbohydrates and a small amount of protein 2-3 hours before the event (nothing too far from what you’d normally eat!)
- Get to the event and register early or check-in, take public transport to avoid stressful driving and parking conditions
- Take the time to view as much of the course as possible focusing on conditions at the start, out in the open water and at the finish
- Take your mind off the start by talking to other participants and doing a short warm-up swim and stretch
- Keep hydrated, apply sunscreen and stay in the shade until you’re called to the start line.
- Choose your position on the start line depending on how you want to compete; the front is competitive, the back to take it easy (Watch these starting techniques)
- Don’t go out too hard at the start, get yourself into a comfortable rhythm and save some energy for the finish
- Your body can handle a lot more than your mind thinks it can, so keep going and surprise yourself!
- Don’t forget to stop and have a look around when you’re out in the ocean, if you stick your head down the whole way you’ll miss the magic of the location!
- If coming back through the waves scares you a little; pause behind the surf, take a deep breath to relax and then choose a lull to start your swim to the beach. Keep checking behind you as you swim so you’re aware of any oncoming waves
- Continue swimming until your hands touch the sand, and check behind you for a sneaky wave as you stand up.
- Make the most of the finish and bask in the glory of completing your swim!
- Cool down with some light exercise and then dress up warm until you get to shower and change
- Rehydrate immediately and eat within one hour of finishing to repair muscles, refuel energy stores and support your immune system
- Make sure you share stories with other participants, thank the organisers and check your result!