Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim
Sun, 24 Nov 2019
The Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim on Hamilton Island is one of Australia’s most beautiful ocean swims.
Whitehaven Beach stretches over 7km over pure, white sand and crystal-clear azure water.
The event gives you a chance to experience the beach in all its beauty as you take on a 2km or 750m ocean swim in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef.
There is also a short 350m swim for children aged 13 and under.
The Whitsundays are one of Australia’s most iconic tourist destination, and located right in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
Whitehaven Beach is internationally renowned as one of the cleanest and most beautiful beaches in the world.
In 2008 it was awarded the title of ‘Queensland’s Cleanest Beach’ in the Keep Australia Beautiful Awards, and in 2010, it was named as the top ‘Eco Friendly Beach’ in the world by CNN.com.
The Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim is the perfect excuse to get yourself up to the Whitsundays and experience it for yourself.
Hamilton Island endurance series
Pristine white beaches. Crystal clear waters. A breathtaking mountainous interior. Hamilton Island is best known as a place to relax. But it is also the perfect place to push yourself in paradise.
The Hamilton Island Endurance series spans four endurance events from May through to November. The Hamilton Half Marathon, Great Whitehaven Beach Run, Hamilton Island Triathlon and Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim will test athletes on every level. Do them all or just do one.
What you’ll love about the Hamilton Island Endurance Series:
- Experience the beauty of the Whitsundays while completing a 750m swim in picturesque Catseye Bay, a 20km cycle including a unique airport runway section, and a 5km run through the island’s Marina Village.
- For kids, the Junior Hamilton Island Triathlon is a fun swim, bike and run around the Hamilton Island Marina Village (open to children aged 14 years and under).
- Cap off your fitness weekend with a cruise to world-renowned Whitehaven Beach, regularly voted one of the world’s top beaches, to participate in the Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim.
- Be involved in the Dent Dash – where you can run or walk the course of the picturesque Hamilton Island Golf Club on neighbouring Dent Island. Choose either a 9-hole or 18-hole ‘course’, and enjoy a delicious buffet breakfast afterwards.
- Nestled in the beautiful surrounds of the Great Barrier Reef, one of the world’s seven natural wonders, the Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim is an annual 2km and 750m ocean swim. There is also a fun 350m junior swim for children aged 13 years and under.
There are two events as part of the Whitehaven Beach ocean swim, a 2km swim and a 750m swim.
Both start from the same spot, head 60m into the ocean before making a north-westerly turn.
They both follow the same course, but the 750m event turns around a marker buoy after 315m, while the full 2km course goes 940m up the beach before turning around.
Both courses give swimmers a chance to swim in the beautiful blue waters of the Great Barrier Reef and experience the beauty of the Whitehaven Beach Ocean Swim.
350m kids swim
A fun little kids swim just off the beach. Bring the kids and get them involved – they’ll be hooked for life!
750m ocean swim
Heading 60m into the ocean before making a north-westerly turn towards a buoy 300+ metres along the beach and back, this swim gives beginners (and keen double-uppers) a chance to experience the beauty of Whitehaven Beach.
2km ocean swim
Your best chance to spend the most time gazing at the beauty beneath the surface, the 2km swim heads off the beach before turning and running parallel with the beach around a buoy and back again.
While you’re there
Cruise to the Great Barrier Reef, sail a yacht around the Whitsundays, play a round of golf on one of Australia’s premier courses, snorkel the reef, relax at a spa, or simply lounge by one of the many island pools and do nothing at all.
Travel and parking
Getting to Hamilton Island
There are direct ferries from the mainland to Hamilton Island that take 30mins. You can walk around the island and you’ll catch the ferry to Whitehaven Beach from the same marina you arrive on the island in. Event entry includes return transfers to Whitehaven Beach from Airlie Beach on the mainland.
Qantas and Jetstar both fly to the island, and regularly have sales – so watch out for them. Most accomodation packages include complimentary transfers to your accommodation.
Endurance Series Accommodation Packages
Register to be part of the Hamilton Island Endurance Series and take advantage of great accommodation packages. Click here to find out more.
Race hard, recover harder and save at the Whitehaven Beach ocean swim.