The Napier Ocean Swim at Port Napier, Napier, New Zealand is organised by Napier Aquahawks Swim Club.
Swimmers can choose from four swim distances; a 200m, 300m, 1km or 2.5km open water swim in an around-the-buoys course format.
The swim is held in relatively sheltered waters along Napier’s Hardinge Road which provides great conditions for swimmers and a grand vantage point for spectators.
– 200m Swim: Participants with leave the beach at the lighthouse end of the course and swim 20m out to sea before turning around a maker buoy and swimming along to beach before rounding a second marker buoy and heading back into the beach to finish.
– 500m Dash: The 500m Dash is a great distance for swimmers new to the open water swimming scene. Participants will start near the lighthouse before swimming a loop course around the buoys, before heading back to the finish line on the beach.
– 1km Classic: The 1km classic is a great stepping stone, to a longer open water swim and is an achievable distance for most individuals with swimming experience. Participants will start on the beach before swimming 200m out to sea and turning right around a marker buoy. They will them swim clockwise around the marker buoys before heading back to the beach and finishing.
– 2.5km Ultimate: The 2.5km ultimate is a true test of an ocean swimmers ability. Participants will start on the beach before swimming 200m out to sea and turning right around a marker buoy before swimming 700m along the beach before turning left and swimming back to the 200m marker buoy before completing the triangle course a second time and finishing on the beach.
– The 500m Dash, 1km Classic and 2.5km Ultimate are also open to team entries.