Goggles won’t last forever, but you can make them last longer and keep your vision nice and clear by taking care of them.
In this lesson you will learn some simple tips for looking after your goggles for ocean swimming.
- Recognise the best way to care for your goggles
- Demonstrate ways to de-fog your goggles
Goggles come in many shapes and sizes and the best pair is usually the one that fits best. Chose from a range of lens: clear lens are great for pool swimming; smokey, tinted or polarized for open water.
Throw out that pair of goggles you bought two years ago, get yourself a new pair and replace them regularly from now on. Good goggles will open your eyes to the ocean environment above and below the water.
- If you’re worried about size choose a pair with an adjustable nose clip.
- Make sure your goggles are fitted and feel comfortable before you hit the water. Stopping to adjust them breaks your rhythm.
- Create fog free goggles by spitting in them while dry to create a barrier on the lens. Rinse in ocean water before wearing.
- Wait until you’re in deep water where there’s less sand in the water before cleaning them.
- Don’t leave your goggles in the sun or in hot places (like seat of car). The heat will warp them and they won’t fit properly again.