The cool winter months can play havoc on our immune system, which is no good if we have set our sights on early spring ocean swim goals.
To ensure you stay as healthy as possible during these shorter darker days here are 10 of my favourite winter healthy living tips:
- Cook with ginger, garlic, turmeric, chillies and onions! All of these foods have beneficial properties that help protect you from winter nasties. You can also take garlic in capsule form
- Drink herbal tea. You can find many different herbal teas containing ginger, and also echinacea, which is known for its defence building properties
- Chicken soup can help provide relief from congestion and general symptoms of colds
- To soothe the chest and throat, try some lemon balm tea. Lemon balm contains antiviral properties that can be useful in helping the flu
- For coughing, try a teaspoon of honey, a couple of teaspoons of ginger juice, and a pinch of turmeric
- A general multivitamin and mineral supplement can help optimise your immunity, and vitamin C is particularly useful. It can stop winter ills and chills from developing
- Peppermint tea and thyme are both natural decongestants
- Try to get some fresh air each day if it’s cold, wrap up warm, but just don’t punish your body by staying locked inside all-day
- Olive leaf oil has an incredible amount of antioxidants and can be great for winter immunity
- For blocked sinuses, put your head over a bowl of hot water containing a few drops of eucalyptus and breathe!
Visit Elly’s holistic health and fitness website for more on how to live a balanced life.